NYFW Favourite

It's over for another year, and we're all still trying to digest. The vital month, paving the way for fashion and style for the next year. Tackled with the holy edition of Vogue (the long awaited September issue) and the Vogue Runways app open at all times this past week has been one of the most exciting I've experienced in fashion.
























Bearing in mind this week has been the first New York Fashion Week I've closely followed I couldn't be more in awe. Of the designers, models, technicians, hair and make up artists and everyone who built this year's week from the ground up. It's been a week that will be remembered as one of the boldest and daring that fashion has seen in recent years.

My highlights have been countless...wait, can I still call them highlights if there weren't really any low points? Anyway, my highlights; there were a lot, spanning the designers to the clothes to the front row. And I just don't think I could write about them all; but there was one show, one designer and icon that dominated my Fashion Week. Victoria Beckham. emerging not with an explosion but with a classic and perfectly matured elegance. Coming into her own not just as a woman who dresses herself well but can now dress every woman's wardrobe.

Now, I was never a die-hard Spice Girls fan, I liked the odd party track but Victoria Beckham was never Posh Spice to me. Similarly up until this year her husband and by extension their beautiful family had never been that interesting to me. They were a family like any other and I firmly believe in respecting the personal lives of celebrities. But this week I have been captivated, perhaps in a slowing growing way the seed was planted over the summer when the designers eldest son came under the spotlight and it was obvious Victoria wouldn't be standing in the shadows but firmly beside him. The star was back on the best dressed lists and when the press return to a star you know something's coming.

And Victoria Beckham doesn't disappoint, not after four children and a few years focusing on her personal life. That was all obsolete information, what mattered now was the clothes, the icon she became just by owning (materially and metaphorically) every outfit she donned. Confident on the catwalk, brilliant in any interview and timeless pride and discretion in front of the camera.

Her collection for next season itself is simply beyond the curve, not just going against it. With no pattern of colour scheme and disregard for the focus on shape the singer turn designer has created something that fashion needed for Spring/Summer 2016: a fresh outlook.
You can almost see the development from the white canvas to adding print and pattern, colour and form. Whether it be bold, embroidered detail or back to basics Victoria Beckham has created a personality for her mind and her clothes the fashion scene could never have anticipated.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Social Construct of the Slut

An Obligatory Year in Review 2016

My Very Relevant, Very Cliche New Years Resolutions